Nearly 4 years ago, I built an ipod out of spare parts from ebay. I wrote most of the tutorial on how to do so at that time, but I never got around to finishing it or publishing it. As of yesterday, the tutorial can be seen for free online on Instructables. It is a pretty easy build, and I learned quite a bit from it. Good luck!
Despite all the hype, iOS 7 is not the cover-all solution for mobile os’s. As an Apple developer, I got early beta access, and have been running it for nearly two months, up until last night. If we were to examine it objectively, we would see that it meets all standards for a mobile operating system, and performs all of the standard functions with ease. If we were to compare it with its predecessor, iOS 6, we see that it fails miserably in both performance and aesthetics. With the completely revamped UI, it can be a bit of an eyesore for new users, especially when display elements do not show up when you tell them to. All the fancy UI work comes at a severe cost for system performance, without much tangible gain. Instead of continuing this paragraph, here are some pros and cons.
- Addition of Control Panel. This is incredibly convenient, and provides quick access to many commonly used features.
- Improved Siri voice. Siri’s voice got a lot more real. It almost feels like you are talking to a real person at times.
- Lock screen changes. Now, when playing music, the lock screen shows the music controls without having to double tap the home button
- Live Wallpapers. While there are only two that currently work, this feature has potential to allow users to customize their phones to be like Androids.
- Slow. Many features, such as Control Panel and Notification Center are slow to open, and very unresponsive. The “frosted glass” look that they use for a variety of things, such as the lock screen, folder screen, and multitasking probably plays a big part in the slowdown, and does not look very good.
- UI. This sums up most of the issues I have with this OS. It just sucks. The new icons are attractive at first glance, but you will hate them as soon as you start using them. Heck, I drew shit like this in paint in first grade, and they probably paid a guy a half a million dollars for that.
- Siri crashes. Siri underwent some major improvements, but now it crashes about 1/3 of the time. Don’t know why it does that, but I don’t like it.
- Did I mention it is slow?
So that is basically it. The new features are really cool, but the cost of them makes
upgrading downgrading not worth it.